Maintaining proper dental hygiene is important for a number of reasons. They say the mouth is the gateway to the rest of the body. So, if you do not take care of your mouth, anything that you eat or drink will become contaminated. All the bacteria that remain in your mouth due to improper cleaning can lead to a number of harmful effects like periodontal disease, or gum disease, and cavities.
Why do you need to take care of your teeth?
Today, it has become more important than ever to practice proper dental hygiene. The cost of curative dental measures like root canals, fillings and extractions has steadily increased over the years. Dental work like orthodontics has become extremely expensive, but since it is necessary in order to get perfectly straight teeth, people are spending exuberant amounts on their teeth.
How to get rid of plaque efficiently?
Plaque is basically the layer of bacteria that coats your teeth after meals and often accumulates just out of reach of your toothbrush. Plaque can lead to serious gum disease that makes your gums, extremely sensitive and susceptible to bleeding. Here’s what you can do to get rid of it:
- Brush your teeth every day- Use a soft-bristled brush and make sure that you brush your teeth at least twice a day. However, it is much more effective if you brush after every meal, especially after eating sugary stuff. Ensure that your toothbrush reaches all the corners of your mouth.
- Use a toothpaste that contains fluoride- Make sure that you use a toothpaste that is anti-microbial and contains fluoride. This will prevent your teeth from decaying.
- Floss your teeth thoroughly- Do this at least once a day, but preferably after every meal. Flossing is the best way to ensure that the plaque which remains on your teeth after brushing disappears.
- Eat a balanced diet and limit the amount of snacks- Try eating a lot of fruits instead of sugary snacks like biscuits and chocolate in between meals. Fruits and vegetables are good for your teeth and will reduce the accumulation of plaque on your teeth.
- Use a fluoride mouthwash if possible- Try using a fluoride mouthwash for double protection.
- Drink fluoridated water- If you live in an area which is non-fluoridated, ensure you consume some fluoride supplements, if your dentist gives you permission to do so.
Make sure you visit your dentist every 6 months to get a checkup and also get your teeth de-scaled. This will remove plaque and ensure optimal oral hygiene.
What diet is best for maintaining healthy teeth?
To prevent gum disease and caries, you need to ensure that you have a balanced diet. Stay away from sugary foodstuff or foods that are high in carbohydrate content. Instead, eat a lot of healthy vegetables like cucumber, carrot and radish and fibrous salads. Make sure that you eat a lot of fruit because they are natural cleansers that get rid of plaque. Since they also contain tons of vitamins and minerals, they help to make your teeth strong and healthy. Consume lots of healthy milk products like yoghurt and cheese as the calcium that they contain is good for maintaining good dental hygiene.
What can you use to improve your dental hygiene?
Today, there are a lot of dental tools and implements that you can easily purchase from your neighborhood drugstore in order to keep your teeth healthy. Some of them are:
- Regular toothbrushes and power toothbrushes
- Inter-dental cleaners (e.g. picks)
- Waxed and unwaxed floss
- Mouth rinses
- Oral irrigators
Practicing proper dental hygiene will ensure that your pearly whites remain healthy and strong throughout your lifetime. Follow all these suggestions and tips and you will be able to smile confidently and happily.