The number of people with gum disease is increasing and this is because people are unaware of how to maintain healthy gums. Gum disease can result in cavities and if the disease is not treated, it can cause tooth loss. If you are not taking care of your gums, you are compromising your overall health.
Symptoms of Gum Disease
Are you suffering from gum disease? If you have the following symptoms, you could be having gum disease.
- Red, shiny gums
- Pain in the gums
- Receding gums
- Visible plaque formation between teeth
- Bleeding gums
- Loose teeth
- Bad breath
Gum disease can be painful and the treatment is equally painful, long and expensive. By taking a few simple measures, you can keep gum disease at bay.Maintaining the Health of Your Gums
Besides going to the dentist regularly for checkups, you also can make use of easy methods to maintain the health of your gums.
Yes, brushing twice a day and flossing once a day is a must. However, you also should massage your gums twice a day. Create a tonic by mixing essential oils, such as peppermint, eucalyptus and wintergreen. Make sure you use oils that have antiseptic properties. Use the tonic to gently massage your gums with your finger. Use circular motions. This will stimulate blood flow to the gums.
2. Bite to Promote Blood Flow
Bite down, so that your teeth make a clicking sound on meeting. Do this 30 times once a day. It will stimulate blood flow and maintain your gums. If you already have gum problems, bite twice a day to help facilitate healing.
3. Use Mouthwash
After brushing your teeth always use a mouthwash to discourage proliferation of bacteria. If you want to save money, make a homemade mouthwash by dissolving baking soda in a glass of water. Use this concoction to gargle and rinse your mouth. Alternatively, you can use salt water as a homemade mouthwash.
4. Eat Gum Healthy Food
There are some foods that naturally kill bacteria and prevent gum disease. You should be looking to do the following:
- Eat whole grains, fresh fruits, green leafy veggies and lean meats. A varied diet will provide your body with vital nutrients and ensure your gums stay healthy
- Consume fish oil or flaxseed oil is replete with Omega-3 essential fatty acids that have anti-inflammatory properties and help in healing gum disease. Also, these oils are potent antioxidants that can destroy free radicals in your mouth and gums
- Forget acidic foods, such as tomato sauce, wine, vinegar and coffee. These foods alter the pH balance of your mouth, allowing bacteria to multiply. They also tend to irritate the gums
- Reduce your sugar intake, as sugar causes oral bacteria to increase substantially and this can lead to gum disease as well as tooth decay
5. Chew Your Food Properly
Do not gulp down food, as chewing is a good exercise for your gums and also will prevent digestive problems. Take time to savor the food you are eating and focus on chewing each morsel well. This will help your gums.
6. Drink Green Tea
Did you know green tea has antibacterial properties? When you drink green tea, it not only cleanses your mouth, it also reduces harmful bacteria in your mouth. A study conducted by the University of British Columbia found green tea can help in reducing bad breath. So use this beverage to enjoy dual benefits.
7. Quit Smoking
Smoking not only is bad for your overall health, it also is bad for your gums. A cigarette contains many harmful compounds that can wreak havoc with the health of your gums. The best way to maintain the health of your gums is to quit smoking altogether.
These are some ways to maintain healthy gums and if you are not using simple and easy methods, you could be seriously compromising the health of your gums. Are you ready to take that risk?