If you have one or more missing teeth, you could be a good candidate for porcelain bridges. Yes, cosmetic dentistry has advanced substantially and there are many different ways to replace missing teeth. That is why it pays to be honest with your dentist and let him know you are interested in a porcelain bridge. It is then the dentist will be better placed to let you know the benefits of a porcelain bridge and also the pitfalls.
If you want the bridge just for cosmetic reasons, don’t be shy or embarrassed to inform this to your dentist. In fact, once you get the bridge, you will realize you made the right choice opting for porcelain.
Advantages of Porcelain Bridges
Porcelain used by dentists can be shaped to look like original teeth. Furthermore, it is easy to mold and fit porcelain into your bite pattern, so that you are comfortable with the bridge. Above all, porcelain is extremely durable, regardless of what you have heard, and has the ability to mimic natural tooth enamel effortlessly. The glass-like whiteness and translucency are very similar to natural teeth and that is why it will be tough for people to see that you have a bridge made from porcelain.
Here are five advantages of opting for dental bridges made from porcelain:
- Restore Your Smile: The fact that you have one or more missing teeth means you hardly smile, as you are afraid to show the gaps in your teeth. With the bridge, you will be able to smile once again with confidence and show off your perfectly even and beautiful smile and teeth.
- Be Able to Chew and Speak Properly: When you have missing teeth, it will hinder your ability to chew food properly. As a result, you will suffer from digestive problems which can be overcome with dental bridges. Also, due to the spaces in your teeth, your speech will not be clear and this will make it difficult for others to understand you. You can overcome these problems with the help of a dental bridge.
- Preserve the Shape of Your Face: When you lose teeth, be it your front teeth or molars, your lips or cheeks will have a shrunken appearance, depending on where you are missing teeth. As a result, you will appear older than what you are. You can regain your youthful appearance by opting for a dental bridge.
- Distribute Your Bite Force Evenly: One or more missing teeth means all the bite force will be concentrated on the teeth you have. This can lead to jaw pain and make it difficult for you to bite. With a porcelain dental bridge, you can distribute this force evenly, so that you do not experience any pain or discomfort.
- Stop Other Teeth From Drifting: If you have missing teeth, the adjacent teeth will begin moving from their original position to occupy the gap created by your tooth loss. Not only is this esthetically unappealing, it can make your surrounding healthy teeth weak, causing them to fall out over time. Also, drifting teeth can adversely affect your bite. With the help of a porcelain bridge, you can prevent this from occurring.
The Bottom Line
Porcelain bridges can last anywhere from five to 15 years. However, the longevity of the bridges is dependent on how well you maintain oral hygiene and how often you visit your dentist for dental checkups.
You can easily maintain these bridges by adopting the same oral hygiene measures for your natural teeth. Make sure you brush your teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste and floss your teeth every day. Also, visit the dentist every 6 months for a check.
If you have missing teeth, wouldn’t you like to enjoy the advantages offered by porcelain bridges? We are sure you do, so speak to your dentist today.